Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Two Different Worlds

The holidays came and went this year with a flurry of activity.  We saw family and friends.  We ate wonderful food...too much food!  The presents were abundant.  I enjoyed every minute of being with my kids, visiting family, eating good food, and opening presents. 








However, several different times on the radio, I heard this song " Do They Know Its Christmas Time?".  This year, it meant something totally different to me...this year it struck a chord! The lyrics are as follows...

It's Christmas time
No need to be afraid
At Christmas time, we let in light
And we banish shade
In a world of plenty, we can spread a smile of joy
Throw your arms around the world
At Christmas time

If I could say a prayer
And pray for the other ones
At Christmas time, it's hard
But when you're having fun
There's a world outside your window
And it's a world of dread and fear
Where the only water flowing
Is the bitter sting of tears
And the Christmas bells that ring there
Are the clanging chimes of doom
Well, tonight thank God it's them
Instead of you

And there won't be snow in Africa this Christmas time
The greatest gift they'll get this year is life
When nothing ever grows, no rain or rivers flow
Do they know it's Christmas time at all?

Here's to you - raise a glass for everyone
Here's to them, underneath that burning sun
Do they know it's Christmas time at all?


As I listened, I would remember the poverty.  I would remember the orphans faces....looking for love or even a smile and a hug.  I would remember how desperate the situation seemed.  Then...


I would go on...

to my life of plenty, ease, comfort...and forget the pain, sadness, desperation, and need.
I struggle with how to combine my passion for orphans, my desire to make the world better for the fatherless with my materialistic, American life. 

Brian asked me a question yesterday, that really made me think.  He was taking Noah and Malachi to the store and I was trying to get them in clothes and shoes that were not just clean but matched and looked semi in style.  He asked, "How can you care so much about orphans and the impoverished and still care about what shoes the boys are going to wear to the store?"  I tried to offer an explanation, but it sounded lame even to my ears.  The truth is...I don't know how to mix these two worlds.  I know God is calling me to more...I am just unsure of how or what or when this "more" is going to occur.

No comments:

Post a Comment