Saturday, June 1, 2013

We. Are. A. Hot. Mess

Sometimes I get so annoyed when I read Facebook or people's blogs...everyone seems to have a perfect little family with perfect outings and beautiful, smiling children.  Well, that is NOT my life!  We are a hot mess!  I want to be real so I thought I would take a moment and give you a perfect example of our hot messiness :)

This past week, Noah had a baseball game....of course, it was 95 degrees here.  I had to take all the children as Brian had to work late.  The bus drops off my children at 4:05.  We needed to be at the ball field at 5:00 (and its a 15 minute drive).  So, needless to say, we were our trademark 10 minutes late. 

Sidebar---I hate being late!!  When it is just me, I am not late....I have yet to ever be late to work!  However, when you are trying to herd 5 children into a vehicle...time just disappears.

We show up at the ball field.  Noah has to walk himself down to the field by himself because I need to unpack the rest of the family...strollers, activity bag, snacks, etc.  Finally, the rest of us make it down to the field around 5:20.  Chloe has chosen this time to throw a fit because I am making her wear a headband that doesn't match her outfit. (I forgot to mention....before we left I told her to get something in her hair so it wasn't hanging in her eyes.  Since she didn't listen, she had to wear what hair accessory I had in the car) 

Let me just tell you...We. Stand. Out.  Everywhere. We. Go.  Even if the children are on their best behavior....people look at our large, ethnically diverse family.

This night, we are really standing out.  Chloe is beside me whining/crying for 45 minutes.  Malachi does his occasional screaming fit.  At one point, Malachi licks the ball field play set.  (Now, if that had been Noah, I would have been running to the car...disinfecting his mouth.)  But, I just said, "Don't lick the play set.".  A little while later, Isaac was sitting in the rocks...digging and putting the rocks in a cardboard box that someone had so kindly littered by the bleachers.  (I don't even have a sandbox at home because I hate dirt and grim all over my children.  At this point, I am just glad he is quiet.)  I am pouring sweat. The kids are fighting over the water bottle. (What kind of a mother with four children in the bleachers only bring one water bottle?) Noah gets to pitch and does a great job.  Then, he is up to bat...he strikes out....he is crying!  Oh, and the game lasts for 2 hours and 10 minutes....and I still needed to feed the children dinner and give them baths.

This. Is. Our. Life....you can love us or not!  We are so far from perfect....but I really hope that makes us approachable and "real"

No comments:

Post a Comment