Saturday, November 3, 2012

Storms

This week our area suffered the effects of Hurricane Sandy.  At our home, we experienced about 4+ inches of rain and some strong winds...and 2 days without school!  Except for a tree that fell on my garden fence and raised beds, we suffered no damage. 


New Jersey and New York suffered the greatest damage.  While watching a TV program about Hurricane Sandy, there were several interviews with families that refused to leave their homes despite the impending hurricane.  As I watched these people explain why they were not leaving, I was disgusted by their behavior.  I mean seriously...LEAVE! THERE IS A HURRICANE COMING!!  Why would you stay in your house, no matter how comfortable, when a huge storm is going to hit your house?  After the storm, everyone of those families said if put in the situation again, they would leave. 

Later, as I was thinking this over, God pressed this upon my heart.  How many times do I stay in my "comfortable place" even when I see an inevitable storm brewing?  How often do I refuse to leave my comforts and go to safety with my Lord?  The answer...far too often.  Unfortunately, I love my "comforts".  Too often, I am willing to withstand a storm (or some sin) in order to remain where I am comfortable.  How different my life would be if I would learn to cling to God instead of my comfortable life?  How different would my life be if I would leave the material things and go to a higher safer place?  I really don't want to look back after the "this storm called life" and say I wish I had left my comforts, my material things...

No comments:

Post a Comment