Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Giving Thanks

This summer, I started reading a book One Thousand Gifts.  In this book, Ann Voskamp challenges the reader to follow Christ's example and "give thanks" by counting our daily blessings.  She even states that a grateful, thankful heart (eucharisteo) always precedes a miracle...and inevitable leads to joy

Luke 9:16  Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke them.
Matthew 26:27  Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you".

To put this challenge into practice, she asks the reader to start a journal counting blessings...all the way to one thousand and beyond.  I have taken the challenge and I am up to #44.  I must admit that slowing down, looking at the blessings/gifts God has given has led me to be grateful for my life, my children, nature, everything.  On the days when being thankful is in the forefront of my mind, I am more relaxed...I enjoy time with my children...I enjoy the beauty of nature.  On the days when I am rushing through life, too busy to stop and see "His gifts", I am on edge. 

So, here are some of my blessings...
~Porch swing moments with my girls
~Pink clouds in a blue sky
~Morning snuggles with Noah
~Naps on the couch
~Sunflowers from the garden
~12 years of marriage
~Summer lunches on the patio
~Brown chicken eggs

What are your blessings?  Will you take the time to slow down and count your blessings?  Henry Warch Beecher said, "Pride slays thanksgiving...A proud man is seldom a grateful man, for he never thinks he gets as much as he deserves."

Romans 1:21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened


No comments:

Post a Comment